Wednesday, January 31, 2007

RMS

My roommate Abby is now knee-deep in student teaching in the other school I taught at last year. Watching her wade through overachievers (that's for you, Tim), coaches, Paidea curriculum expectations, and the general "too much to do in too little time" takes me back. Last year at this time, I was two weeks into experiencing the great Rossville Middle, having launched the temporary assignment with mind made firmly up that I was NOT going to be a teacher. Then I was thrust into this artic, asbestos-laced building . . . America's Choice, 2nd grade reading levels, complete lack of social graces, odd odors, and mice. How do I know if a sentence is complete or not? What in the world is a narrative? How do you fit a 120 minute lesson plan into 75? How do you teach someone to read at the 3rd grade level when you are trained starting at a 6th grade level? I started like Abs . . . frustrated, overwhelmed, unsure . . . And, then, 4 months later, my mind was firmly made up. I'd be back.

I'm so glad I did.

No comments: